There is no exaggeration in the title of this recipe! Seriously, the best coffee cake I have tasted…ever! Sweet, moist and delectable with just enough blueberries to make it interesting, without getting too mushy. Don’t skip the topping. It really makes it. The struesel-like finishing touch melts a bit to create a phenomenal, lightly crispy and sweet layer. If you prefer not to use store bought vegan sour cream, there is a quick and easy recipe to make your own at the end of this post. So brew a pot of your favorite warm bevvie and enjoy!
This recipe is my veganized/healthier version of one found at http://www.cdkitchen.com
2 T extra virgin coconut oil
5 T organic sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup organic sugar (evaporated cane juice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan sour cream
2 flax eggs (2T flaxseed meal, combined with 6T water)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Using a fork, combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until ingredients are all incorporated and resemble cornmeal or slightly wet sand. Set aside for later.
- Use medium size bowl and a wire whisk to combine the dry ingredients (flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt). Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, use a mixer to beat together flax eggs, vanilla and vegan sour cream.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients (about 1 cup at a time). Beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread batter into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the blueberries on top. Gently scoop a little of the batter over the berries, just enough to cover them without making purple batter or sinking your berries to the bottom of the dish. Finally, sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until a clean toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out dry.
- Cool slightly, slice, serve and enjoy! Best served warm or at room temperature.
VEGAN SOUR CREAM:
1 box Mori Nu Silken Tofu
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Toss all ingredients into the blender. Blend until smooth. Ta da! Vegan sour cream!!