Holy cow are these cookies good! If you love lots of chocolatey-oaty, sweet and crunchy goodness then this is the cookie for you. It is also a great back-to-school treat you can share with the kids, without any guilt since the only things these little gems lack are eggs, butter, oil and soy. To make them wheat-free, try substituting the whole wheat pastry flour with oat or barley flour. These also freeze very well, so why not make a double batch and freeze some to enjoy later!
A Helpful Note: The dough is a lot easier to manage if you can let it chill in the fridge for about an hour or so before baking, but this isn’t necessary. Here I use applesauce and prune puree (baby food prunes). If you only have one of the two on hand, it’s no problem. Just as long as you end up with 1 cup of fruit puree, whether in the form of applesauce, prunes or a combo. Mashed bananas may also work in a pinch, though I haven’t tested that substitution yet.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup prune puree or baby food prunes
- 3 Tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup sucanat or light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated can juice or raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 -3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips, or roughly chopped vegan dark chocolate
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Place oven racks at 2nd and 5th positions.
- Combine water, flaxmeal, applesauce, prune puree and sugars in a large bowl and beat well. Beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gradually add dry mixture to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in oats, cherries, chocolate and nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight, if desired.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Press to flatten slightly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Rotate baking sheets half way into baking time. Rotate 180 degrees and switch racks that the baking sheets are on, to insure even baking.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5-10 min., then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling…if you can wait that long. 🙂
One thought on “Oatmeal Chocolate Cherry Pecan Cookies”
That photo is just incredible! These cookies look and sound fantastic. They sound pretty much perfect for me. Thanks for sharing!